Times Have Changed
This is now a familiar image. Children are drawn into the glowing screens of our tech toys, like beautiful stary-eyed-monkey-moths.
It looks like the days are numbered for time spent going out, spending all day in a world of childish imaginings with your friends down the street. This drastic change however, does not necessarily mean a step back in the development of our children. The attention consuming power of these technology toys can be used to help educate our children and aid them in the cognitive development. Leapfrog have released the LeaPad, a tablet for children that has great educational features.
We have compiled list of the 5 best free educational apps for children under 10 years old. Each app has been selected because it has been designed to enhance the educational and cognitive development of children.
The 5 Best Educational Apps For Children Under 10 Years Old
Bug Mazing – Adventures in Learning
Ages: 3-6 Years
Description – Calling all heroes! In this Little Bit Studio app, your child will take control of their bug hero to explore and discover a myriad of environments while trying to save the peaceful King from the bad bug forces. Their exciting quest will take them through various challenges that will deliver tons of fun while developing key skills such as counting, critical thinking, fine motor skills, and many more!
– Quirky and fun styling offers intriguing learning experiences.
– Reinforces basic skills: numbers, letters, and colors.
– Expands other skills: fine motor skills, problem solving, and more.
Boj – Musical Mayhem
Ages: 0-5 Years
Description – From the popular British children’s TV show. In this interactive appbook, Boj’s buddies are all practicing the Cloppity Concerto to play at the Giggly Gig in the Park. But when Denzil breaks his guitar (‘with his own bottom!’), Boj shows him that with a bit of improvisation he can play at the concert with a homemade instrument!
– Fun games to play to help Boj build home made instruments!
– Sing-a-long section, sung by Jason Donovan, with fully featured ‘Karaoke’ game
– Interact with the characters and environment on every page (24 pages packed full)
Ages: 4-9 Years
Description – uKloo Early Reader App is a fun seek-and-find literacy game for ages four and up. It encourages kids to look up word clues, search the play screen and discover surprises along the way! There’s even a picture helper to look up words when kids get stuck. Soon, your child will be reading without even realizing it!
– Progressively builds sight reading (visual word recognition)
– Provides the basics of sentence structure
– Introduces research skills and builds confidence
– Promotes independent learning and play
Ages: 4-7 Years
Description – MiniSchool is a quality learning game with English voice over that combines learning with play. The game is for 4-7 year olds and is packed with entertaining and educational assignments – all developed in cooperation with parents, pedagogues and children. MiniSchool is a great supplement for school education and works well as a tool to give children a good introduction to school.
– Developed in cooperation with parents, pedagogues and children
– 3 difficulty levels
– Child friendly interface – Makes the game easy to understand
Heroes of the City Baby
Ages: 0-3 Years
Description – This app is designed for the youngest children (0-2+ years). Play games and watch movies together with Paulie Police Car and Fiona Fire Engine from the TV-series Heroes of the City.
– 3 animated short movies (Languages: English and Swedish)
– Music panel with two different themes
– Color and shape game
App descriptions from iTunes App Store
There are many more applications aimed at child development and education that are available for both iOs and Android platforms. Our modern toys can be turned into powerful educational tools with the help of all these amazing applications.